Monday, January 27, 2014

I H/ate Coffee

So here we go,

This week was one of the craziest and most stressful of my mission, but the good news is that it's over. That's what's so cool about the mission. I can leave that all behind me now and just have the best week this week.

Sorry it's been a long time, but Happy Birthday shout out to Matthew tomorrow (so cool to be so close to him) and Katherine on Sunday. I hope you both have the best birthdays ever.

I was reading the letter from Hillary and I feel exactly the same. We are working so hard on getting people here to do the little things like family scripture and prayer and family home evening. I am just so grateful for our family and that we did the little things. It means so much to me now and I know I wasn't always so happy to participate, but thanks Mom and Dad for helping us make that habit early on and for just being consistent and constant. I always tell people that it doesn't matter how much you read, just as long as you do it daily. I think they're starting to catch the vision and like Hillary, I just feel so blessed to come from such an amazing family that took time to do the little things that really count.

I went on a cool work visit this week where this lady decided to tell us her whole life story. Like ALL her life. Way too many details to keep it brief. Well, we had a cool lesson about repentance and her son decided to be baptized last Saturday. I told him ''who are we to say we're not ready or worthy? if God has said we are, then we are.'' That thought came to my mind first and I just felt the Spirit telling me it's the truth in my life too. I got to interview the boy and it was so cool. He didn't know if President Thomas S. Monson was a prophet so I invited him to kneel down right there during the interview and to ask. He did it and just said he felt peaceful and now had a testimony. That was such a cool experience and he's such a great guy.

We also taught a family about the Sabbath day and the wife just looked at her husband and said ''you know what, we've been missing something, we're not gonna work on Sundays anymore'' before we even really explained it. That was so cool. Well, she went to church yesterday but he didn't so half cool, but we're on our way. Welcome to the mission.

I saw a guy walking down the street the other day and he was wearing a Utah Jazz jersey. Then I saw that it was number 32 and I was like, that is too cool. He passed by and I wanted to stop him and just buy his jersey or something, alright I was gonna contact him, but my companion wasn't as tantalized or intrigued by the fact a guy in Lima was wearing a Utah Jazz jersey so he just kept on walking. Oh well, maybe he's a member anyway. Next time I'm just gonna ditch my companion though. I guess we'll see.

Alright, now for the lowlight of my week. There's this investigator that says he wants 1000 friends, but doesn't really want to be friends with God. Okay, maybe not so drastic, but he just wants us to pass by everyday and doesn't really want anything else, I think he's just a super lonely old guy. He called us on Saturday and told us to come by his house. We had like 20 minutes and wanted to pass by to drop him once and for all. Well, that totally backfired. It was his birthday and it was super uncomfortable. We told him we only had 20 minutes, but he wanted us to sit down and eat and he's just kind of creepy now.

So finally we accepted a piece of cake. I was kind of scared but took one bite and it was chocolate. Then I was suspicious and took another bite and another and then didn't feel so good. I thought it was coffee, but was in such a hurry to get out of there that I didn't want to ask. I couldn't see another alternative so I downed it as fast as I could. I felt really bad afterwards because, well, I should have asked. It was so disgusting and now I'm never EVER going back to that house. It was funny because for anyone else I would have said it didn't matter, but I felt bad. I told President and he just said God understands the circumstances, so now I'm fine. But for real, it was so disgusting. I wanted to run, so next time I'm gonna pull a Joseph in Egypt, 100%. The rest of the day my body was all sorts of crazy. DON'T EAT OR DRINK OR ANYTHING WITH COFFEE. My testimony of the Word of Wisdom was strengthened though, that's the good news.

I was also thinking about Uncle Ray and Aunt Sharon this week. Please tell them once again thanks for the fun time in Washington and please tell the whole family how much I love them.

The work keeps moving along. A real quick story I wrote to President.

A great spiritual experience happened yesterday as we went to meet with a less active. She has been going to church for 4 weeks straight and we've tried to visit her several times now. She was there and so was her husband, who is also super inactive, and her grandson was there with his mom. We were talking and I just felt I needed to share some scriptures, specifically Doctrine and Covenants 64:9-10 and also Matthew 7:1-5. I felt the Spirit as I testified and explained the words that were said by our Savior. Then Hermana M. said it was an answer from God. Earlier while she was washing dishes that scripture had come to her mind and me sharing it with her was a confirmation that it's what she needs to do. It's what we all need to do and so we met 2 new investigators who are part of a more than less active family and we all felt the Spirit. I felt so good, just like I was in the perfect place at the perfect time and there was nothing more important for me to be doing. I'm so grateful God can guide us all.   We're going to reactivate the whole family and baptize those 2 people (Elva and Alonzo). I know God will help us every step of the way.

Have the best week ever and know you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I love you more than I could ever say. Thanks for all of your love support and prayers.

Love your repentant sinner and best friend forever,
Elder Aaron Micah Wheatley

No comments:

Post a Comment