Tuesday, May 20, 2014

What a Week!

So, that's about all I have to say for the week.

I think I need to echo the feelings of Jacob in Jacob 7:26. It's all just a dream and it's passing by so fast. I have always thought it was a pretty cool scripture, but my life took "likening the scriptures" to a whole new level this week and I wasn't even trying. All you missionaries can definitely understand what I'm saying there. I'm glad that this life isn't everything though.  It's pretty cool that "a dream is a wish your heart makes". Don't really know where that one came from, but it's a gospel truth. There aren't any pesadilla (night mares) here, I mean even the hard times turn out to be amazing opportunities for growth, but it's definitely feeling like a dream these days.

The best part of the week was definitely my studies in the morning. I've just been soaking it all in. Jacob 5 is so amazing and even better when I'm literally one of those "laborers in the vineyard", that made it way real. Then of course chapter 6 is good stuff and 7 knocked my socks off. Jacob rebukes evil with such power and I was thinking about Sherem's last words. He finally decided to tell the truth before he died and then I thought about how Joseph Smith died for the truth. It's weird how different the situations are, but there is no way that the last words someone says are going to be  a lie.

I had a cool work visit with Elder Brown this week and talked way too much about The Lord of the Rings. It was good though because we kept it all tied back to the gospel. So looking forward to that movie and hoping it's still a go for Labor Day. All 3 extended versions in one day equals one of the best days of the year and time well spent.

So way too many lessons fell through this week and I've never had a harder time getting into houses. Sorry for the lack of stories, but this week is going to be even better.

Oh yeah, two in one. So I saw two huge houses in my area last week and the first one I really felt like we should knock. It had an intercom and that's always a bummer. My companion thought I was crazy and I thought I was too. So I rang it and the lady was real cool. She came out and said she's been to church a lot of times. That was amazing. We went back and taught the family once and the house is so nice, like even for the US, it's so beautiful. Then later I saw a huge house and had wanted to ask what it was before, because it's way too big to be a house. So I saw someone go in and I asked them. She was a really nice lady too and said she wanted us to come back. I mean, it is a monster house and there are like 6 people living there. It's gonna be so cool this week. I'm really excited.

The branch presidency got changed so that was crazy and cool. What I wrote to President about it, The branch is going to get so much better. The old branch president was really starting to understand things, but I'm also really excited to be working with Presidente Gonzales. We already have a really great relationship with him. He used to be the pensionista and loves helping the missionaries in any way he can. He owns a pizzeria in his house so he is also going to be able to spend more time during the day to visit people and also he can work his schedule at night better to do interviews. The majority of the members are really excited and us as missionaries are ready to go too. The branch council was great and he helped every organization commit to visiting one family this week and will ask for a report next week. I know that is going to help us so much.

And a cool experience I wrote him too. A spiritual experience this week was with a less active named Juan. His neighbor is the ward clerk and we asked him one day if he knew anyone else we could share our message with. He told us his next door neighbor was a member, but hadn't gone in years. We've gone there lots of times and reminded the clerk to talk to his neighbor because he didn't let us in. On Saturday we got a call and the ward clerk told us that we had an appointment at 3 with Juan. The lesson went really well and at the end he gave a prayer that was so sincere. He asked for forgiveness for not going in more than 30 years and promised he would go Sunday. We asked him several times if we could talk with his family and we set up an appointment for Monday. So yesterday he went to church and then his wife showed up too, who turns out to be a member of more than 30 years too. Their children and grandchildren aren't baptized and we're really excited for our appointment tonight. It was amazing how the Spirit worked with him and you could see the joy that he felt in the church.

I love you all and you are all in my prayers. Have the best week ever!

I'm grateful for down weeks that keep me humble and am ready to just give it my all this next one.

Love your friend in PerĂº,
Elder Aaron Micah Wheatley


One Elder said I had the White Hand of Sauron look going on. (Uruk-hai  --  Lord of the Rings)
Football felt so good. Never played on the beach before. Quite an experience with the Latinos too. I love PerĂº!

No comments:

Post a Comment