Monday, January 21, 2013

Living Among the Sand People

Dear Everybody,

This week we were coming back from appointments and were in another crammed combi (not quite an everyone touching everyone crammed up against the windows and doors, but there are other times like that). When on the radio comes this song ''Corre Corre Corazón'' (highly recommended if you want to look it up). I was just standing there not thinking, yet thinking about it all at the same time. I saw this lady sitting there with her baby and the love for the people of Perú just flooded into my heart. I hadn't really felt that in a while so I thought about it some more. Something just came to me that I needed to give her some pamphlets. I thought ''that's really weird'' and then immediately followed up with ''you're a gringo in Perú with a white shirt and tie, Elder Wheatley, everything is weird about you''. So as I was getting off the bus I just said these are for you and gave here the pamphlets. It just felt so good to feel that love even though I can't describe it. I think that's what charity really is and I'm not going to let it go.

One other cool thing about this area, apparently it didn't exist 20 years ago so that's cool.

Yesterday I was just really concentrated on what the investigators and ward needs here. My thoughts were so focused and I realized after a little that I have never thought so hard and what the people really need. This ward is so amazing, but there are a lot of less actives. The bishop is helping us a lot and the members want to help too. I feel a real concern for all of them and somehow that just makes me so happy. I know there is a lot of work to do, but I also know there are miracles just waiting for us if we exercise faith. Elder Aubrey is an awesome companion and is helping me so much. We just have a great time together, two gringos who don't know Spanish as well as we want, just doing the work of God. It is so amazing to be a part of this. We joke around a lot in the apartment and have fun walking from place to place too. He's way faster at climbing the sand, but I'm getting there.

We went looking for a new apartment this week and had a great time. The new place is just beautiful and it will be great for the 2 new missionaries that are coming. I love my apartment right now too though and am feeling really blessed. It was fun to spend a little time with Hermana Dorius and get to know her and President a little better.

I read through 2 Nephi 4 this morning and I love that chapter so much. I know that we just need to trust in the Lord and it will all work out. Of course 2 Nephi 2 is just amazing as well and it's so fun thinking about you reading along with me too Mom.

I read a couple of great talks this week. One is by Sheri L. Dew that says ''You Were Born to Lead'' or something like that from a BYU Devotional and it changed my life. I have been praying to understand the language of the Spirit and I fasted to do so as well. Fasting has never meant so much to me and I am so grateful for it.

Another great one was ''The Infinite Power of Hope'' by President Uchtdorf and I highly recommend it. It's so funny how an amazing talk can just go along unnoticed until we really need it. I've needed a lot of help on my mission so I've learned a lot too. A couple of other good scriptures 1 Nephi 20:10 and Doctrine and Covenants 6:36.

Congratulations to Rosie on her mission call, the mission is the greatest decision I have ever made. Keep preparing Hillary and every one else.

Please tell Bishop Barrett and Sister Nibley thank you for their Christmas cards. They meant so much to me.

I love you all so much and am praying for you all. Tell Oma and Opa and the whole Wheatley and Moulton families I love them so much. I'm excited for you all who are going on missions and I love hearing about everyone else just staying strong.

Have the greatest week ever! Talk to you soon!

Love,
Elder Aaron Wheatley

p.s. I HAVE FLEAS!!!!!!!! What a world I live in. Don't worry though, it's not as bad as it sounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment