Friday, March 8, 2013

Good Ol' US of A

Hey You Guys,

This week has been absolutely nuts and Heavenly Father definitely has a lot for me to learn. I'll do my best to write it all down, but please remember me in your prayers as well as my companion Elder Bravo and all the other missionaries out in the field. We really can't do this without heavens help and I thank you for all of the prayers you have offered, I know they have strengthened all of us.

I want to wish Charlie a Happy Birthday last Saturday. I hope it was an awesome day. Also next Monday is the birthday of Joseph and Hillary so I'll write it again next week, but Happy Birthday Dear Hillary and Joseph!!!!! Have the greatest birthdays ever.

My new area Los Rosales is pretty sweet and I know we can have a lot of amazing experiences here if we just follow the Spirit. The pensionista (sister who cooks our food) is probably one of the best in the whole mission. She cooks all types of food from all over the world and even lived in Utah for a year. She is an older lady who works at the temple and is so strong in the gospel. But back to foooooooooooooooooood. Yesterday she cooked us spaghetti and there was hamburger meat, real hamburger. I think that's the first time I've eaten real hamburger in all of Perú. She feeds us lots of fruit too which is delicious.

Quick ´´epistle´´, as Brother Andrew Woodruff calls them, on Elder Aubrey and Elder Bravo. From Elder Aubrey I learned to be more loose and have lots of fun with my companion. Of course it was a lot easier coming from the same culture and speaking the same language and everything and maybe what I learned from him is how grateful I am for the US. I love Perú, but as Seth Cannon said in a recent letter ''God Bless America and it's beautiful language´´ (I don't know if he reads my letters, but I hope that makes someone laugh thinking about Seth). I also learned to be a better follower and allow others to show me the way. From Elder Bravo I have learned to be more respectful, especially to other missionaries. I am currently learning how to be a senior companion (something I never thought would be so hard to figure out), and how to love the people of Perú more.

Now back to America. This week as I was in the bus I heard the song ''Safety Dance'' come on and I highly recommend everyone to go listen to it seeing as I am not able to. It reminded me of Youth Conference with Jake Knell and someone please tell him that he needs to read this email. It was just one of those moments that was way too good to be true. I could imagine the music video and everything.

I went on a work visit to be with Elder Howell and that was so awesome. We both worked so well and it was one of the best days of my whole mission. We both joked around so much and just had the greatest of times. The lessons just flowed so perfectly and the investigators were all so great too. We still struggled a couple of times trying to say exactly what we wanted to in Spanish, but that's how it works. We were at a recent converts house and were about to leave. We were trying to get the little girl to pray. We were just trying to encourage her and the next thing we knew she was crying. Well, I guess there's a first for everything. I just hope no one else cries again because we ask them to pray.

One investigator in our area is named Marco. He's so awesome and has read to 1 Nephi 20 already. He accepted the Word of Wisdow with no difficutly and when we talked about the Sabbath Day he said he would talk to his boss to try to get Sundays off. When we told him he couldn't play soccer on Sundays it looked hard for a second, but he knew what he needed to do so he committed to it. He didn't show up to church yesterday, so I really hope it was him just working his last Sunday at his job or something. I guess even the golden ones have things to overcome sometimes though and we'll just trust in the Lord because with Him all things are possible.

One change that may be for my good that has happened since I arrived in Perú is my touch bubble. It not only has shrunk, but has pretty much disappeared. I guess that's what happens when you have to get on jam-packed, to the brim full, crammed with people buses almost daily. Maybe this will help me find a happy medium for the rest of my life.

I'm so happy that Mariah made it home safely. It sounds like she's doing great and I'm praying for her all the time. That's got to be one of the weirder moments of a persons life and I hope the whole family is spending a bunch of time with her. Good luck on your talk this week and I'll be thinking about you Mariah.

I hope everything is going great with Hillary and am looking forward to hearing about all the happenings on her mission. I loved the MTC, but I think it's like every other part of the mission. When you look back you remember all of the good, but there were also a lot of hard times. I was reading my journal the other day and it seems like it was a lot harder than I remember. I'm grateful for hard things though because they make us stronger and know I'm praying for you Hillary as well as the whole Young famly.

Thank you so much for sending me that email from Daniel Wheatley a couple weeks ago. It sounds like things are going great for him and that's so cool that he got to see Elder David A. Bednar. Keep working hard my brother, I love you.

I hope everything is going great for you Mom, Dad, and Brianna with all of the changes that have happened. It's all so crazy, but as a family we're all doing it together.

This week in the Book of Mormon was absolutely fantastic and I am so grateful for my best friend (the Book of Mormon). I loved reading about Abinadi he is such an amazing example to me. I want to be strong like him and will try to do better. Alma was just as cool too, following the words of a prophet and baptizing so many people to help them come closer to Christ. Ammon just completes the trio and I'm definitely looking forward to reading about all the ways the Lord blessed the people and all of the miracles He did that are coming up soon. I am learning so much and trying to apply the teachings to my life. I love reading it with you Mom and encourage anyone else to join us if you want. We are reading 3 pages everyday and we're on page 189 I think.

I love you all so much and am praying for you with all the energy of heart.

Have the greatest week ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Elder Aaron Micah Wheatley

The view from our window.

No comments:

Post a Comment