Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hurrah for Israel!

Hello World,

Thank you Elder Tanner Christensen for the title idea. It helps so much to know that we are all in this together, the building of Israel.

This week was another week of learning and growth as we helped a lot of people come closer unto Christ. We had a bunch of lessons and I felt the Spirit a lot, but hardly anyone went to church and we aren't having much luck helping them accept baptism. (I know this is PerĂº so it's still higher than some of my brothers and sisters are seeing in their missions. I'm just grateful we can all do this together.)

We went to an area in my ward called arboleda and it definitely is not an arboleda!  (Arboleda means grove of trees.)  It's even more of a desert wasteland and maybe I'll have pictures next week. We met a really great family from a member referral and I hope we can continue to help them come unto Christ.

Walter and Leonor are so awesome, but they just don't go to church. We had a lesson with them and watched the Testaments with a bunch of members which was special. We got to eat dinner with them too and that was a great time just talking. A real easy way to teach the Word of Wisdom when she brought out coffee too. It actually went over really well and it is just going slowly. Walter is awesome though and I can see so much desire in him.

I loved my reading in the Book of Mormon this week and especially enjoyed Alma 36:19-21. I was thinking about all the hard things that happen on missions and tried to remember all the hard things I've done before in my life. I know I've gone through hard things, but couldn't remember in detail. As I read this scripture it just became so clear to me that forgetting is a gift from God. We aren't supposed to remember how hard things were, that's just not how it's supposed to be. We remember that it was hard, but the pain is swallowed up in the Atonement of Christ which fills us with indescribable joy. That is the gift of the Atonement, that we can forget. That we can let go of the past and be so happy. Maybe even overflowing with joy. I also loved reading all the other counsel Alma gave to his sons and am so grateful for my mom and dad who have always been there to counsel me. I love you Mom and Dad.

We had a great lesson with a less active who served a mission and he said that it all started one Sunday when he didn't go to church. I'm grateful for my mission and the base it is giving me for the rest of my life. It's a refiners fire sometimes, but we are becoming FIT for the kingdom of God as we pass through this life.

Now quickly about Josafat. He never ceases to amaze me. He has read almost all of the Pearl of Great Price and received the priesthood yesterday. What a great blessing Heavenly Father has given me to see someone so strong enter the path to eternal life. I am so grateful for all of the people I have met and come to love on my mission. They have all shaped me in one way or another to help me become more like Christ.

I love you all so much and hope you have the greatest week ever known to mankind. I'm praying for you and feel your prayers for me.

Love your brother in the Lord,
Elder Aaron Micah Wheatley

No comments:

Post a Comment