Monday, August 12, 2013

Ganó Padre Celestial‏ (Heavenly Father won!)

Good morning,
A quick Happy Birthday to both Opa and Nomi this week. Well, I know it was Opa's last week, but I didn't write, so sorry. And I'm excited to celebrate my year-mark along with Nomi's birthday on the 15th. I hope you both have such great special days.
On the other hand... I can't believe this week marks one year on the mission. It has just flown by and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was in some sort of trance yesterday after church and just ended up staring at the picture of the Provo Temple and also the St. George Temple that are over my bed. I don't know exactly what I was thinking about, but I think all of you who have served missions understand what I'm talking about. I was just reflecting on this last year and then life in general. I don't know how to describe it, but it was nice. I just feel like I have done the best I could and that I am so blessed to have a whole year ahead to just keep working.
I kind of felt like you do around graduation or something like that. You just reflect back a lot and then look a bunch more forward. Uncle Lane sent me an awesome quote that has got to be one of my all time favorites. ''Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.'' - Victoria Holt
That reminds me a lot of what Dad said last week. He said he didn't have hard times, just growing experiences. I would just say that this last year has had the most WONDERFUL of times and has also been full of GROWING EXPERIENCES. I'm so grateful for every second of it all. I was thinking about all the time I've used feeling sad or down or something. I think it's been good though because it's led me to where I am now. I definitely have to say that there isn't any more time to feel that way though. I'm only 20 once. I only get to be on the mission once. And I may never walk down these streets, or see these people again. I'm going to give my all for the Lord and His Promised Land. I love it here in Perú.
So about the title. We were talking to a kind of less active lady and it was so special. She was talking about how she had just quit her job and how she was so worried. She started crying and then began the rest of the story where she talked about seeing an old friend who offered her a drink. She said the old Yessica would have drank and just forgotten about it. Then she described how the devil was pulling her one way telling her it was only once and that it would make everything feel all better. That she could just forget all of her problems. She also told us that God was on the other side trying to help her. I was so afraid she was just going to burst out into tears and tell us she made a mistake and felt so bad. Well, she told us ''y sabe que hermano, ganó Padre Celestial''.  (Translation from Dayna -- and you know what brother, Heavenly Father won.)  That was so special to hear. I just felt so good. It's so nice for us to win because it just seems like the devil is doing some serious damage at times.
We also got to be a part of the baptism of Antonia and Reynalda. That was definitely some damage on the side of good and they are going to be such amazing members. We got to go over to their house yesterday and she made us some amazing ají de la gallina. Then they gave us a gift each. I opened it and it was some cologne. That was so nice of them. I usually don't like cologne, but it smelled pretty good actually. They are just such amazing people and I feel so blessed to have been here in this area to help them come unto Christ.
Oh yeah, it was inevitable. I got bitten by a dog yesterday. It ripped my pants, but didn't even touch my skin. I'm more mad that I didn't kick it or anything than that it ripped my pants. The next one better watch out though.
I love you all so much and am praying for you. Have the greatest week ever! It's so great to hear that you are doing better Mom!

Love your friend in Perú,
Elder Aaron Wheatley

ps. I'm going ''crazy go nuts'' this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment