Monday, September 23, 2013

I Love Less Actives!

Hey there everybody,
     So this week started off with a big scare. Well, actually it happened 2 weeks ago, but I didn't want to worry anyone. Let's just say that my SD card got cleaned by the computers here and I lost ALL OF MY PICTURES. I was just praying something would happen and some nice guys helped me out. I don't really know how, but I got back almost all of the pictures. I was gonna be so sad losing all of my memories from Huacho, but God is merciful. I know that's true.
     So two cool people I met. There was this lady named Nomy (pronounced no-me) and that's not a coincidence. She's the sister of Antonio Medina who was baptized and well, it was just cool. I love you back home Nomi!
     The other great person was Hermamo Simon Silva. We eat at his house and he's this awesome 67 or so, year-old guy. He went out with us this week and it was exactly what I imagine going with Opa would be like. He is such an awesome guy and just loves talking with everyone. He is so friendly and has no fear or shame of anything. It's fun to be with him and we're going to go out this week too so I'll probably be writing again. So fun to be reminded of grandparents.
     Rocío finally accepted a baptismal date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been so hard to find her, but on Saturday we were finally able to talk with here. She was doing her usual, I don't know if I've received an answer which is hard. She had read until 1 Nephi 9 almost though and that was awesome. She said she just loves reading, but no one JUST READS the Book of Mormon. I am so grateful for that book and the spirit it contains. So we challenged her and she said ''yeah, I think so'' Then her brother and another non-member got talking and that was a little scary. I could see the look on my companions face and knew I had the same one, so I just prayed. They were all saying ''it's not a game, you have to be sure'' and ''is it yes or I think so''. Then Rocío beat them down and said ''yes, means yes doesn't it?'' And I was just so happy. Her brother in law who is a less active return missionary told her it is the door that leads to everything and it was so cool to see him remember what he had taught so many times. Well, we were all so happy, I think Elder Arciniegas and I more than her, but either way it was AMAZING!!!!!! OH yeah, it's practically impossible to feel the Spirit in her house. Not sure if you missionaries know what I'm talking about, but light always defeats darkness and I know the Spirit was there. Sometimes it's hard to realize, but I know the Spirit is with us.
     President Archibald gave the whole mission a goal of doubling thier number of lessons with less actives and well, we had 11 last week so we thought it was going to be really hard, but we wanted to do it. We worked our hardest all week and Heavenly Father blessed us so much. We were able to reach our goal and that felt so nice. I just love working with them so much because, I don't know, it's just so rewarding. We are working a lot helping two families prepare for the temple and another from that family to get married and baptized. I love working with them so much.
     We had a Stake Conference yesterday that was for all of Perú I think (the 100 stakes and 22 districts or something like that). It was so amazing and I am so excited for General Conference.
Elder Arciniegas is still the best companion ever and I love being with him. Thank you for all of the prayers in our behalf. I am loving it here in Santa María and it just gets better each and every day.

     I attached what I wrote to my president below. I think it's pretty good stuff, hope you like it.

     In my studies this week I've learned a lot from the war chapters in Alma. I've read them many times, but now it's different. Maybe it's because I'm reading in Spanish, but I don't know. I've just been able to apply them a lot more to my life and it's been really cool. I really liked how Moroni fortified the weakest spots with the most men and that made me think that my weakest points need to be protected the most by my thoughts. I also loved reading General Conference addresses from April. I don't know why I haven't been reading them before, but hopefully I will be able to read all of them before October. I love General Conference so much and the Stake Conference yesterday made me so excited to hear our leaders. Elder Arciniegas and I also had an awesome companionship inventory and it's just so amazing to be with someone that doesn't want to change everything about me, but instead wants to help me become a better person. I am so grateful to be with Elder Arciniegas.
     My spiritual experience this week was probably the whole week. It was actually a pretty hard week as far as my mind went. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I wasn't letting myself be super happy. I just kept working really hard though and now looking back I feel so happy and so fulfilled. We worked so hard with so many people and so many of them did what they needed to come unto Christ. We asked Rocío for like the fifth time if she would be baptized and she just said ''yeah, I think so''. Her brother was there and another non-member too and they got all worked up and said ''bautismo no es un juego''. Then she just said ''yeah, Saturday''. It was so awesome to see her stand up for what she knew was right. I know she received her answer as she has read the Book of Mormon and that is what gives her the strength to do what God asks. A lot of less actives took some big steps this week too and it was just so special. Looking back this whole week was a spiritual experience of learning to work when it's hard and the good times will come. I know Heavenly Father is over this work because I can see His hand as I look back.
     That's so crazy to hear about all the rain you are getting in Provo. It's looking pretty good here. It's almost always cloudy in the morning, but hardly ever rains. It's pretty funny because if the ground gets wet everyone says that it rained pretty hard. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's more of just really humid air, or really tiny rain thingies, they call it llovizna, I think. But the afternoons have been really nice this past week.
     I am praying for you all. And Brianna you looked so BEAUTIFUL, just GORGEOUS (sp? maybe I should stay away from big words) in your Homecoming pictures! 
     I hope you all have the best week at school, at work, and at play.

Love your son, brother, cousin, nephew, and friend in Perú (Matthew too),
Elder Aaron Micah Wheatley

No comments:

Post a Comment