Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving you guys,

I hope you all have tons of fun eating turkey, or whatever may be offered in the case of missionaries. At the request of Elder Jacob Jespersen I think I'll be eating a double helping of rice. Well actually, we were invited by a member to eat with her, so maybe she has some tricks up her sleeves. The elders lived in her house for years so I'm pretty excited.

This week was just wild.  I am so grateful to be here on the mission. Monday we got to play tennis, which was amazing (shout out to Elder Tanner Christensen), and I'm even getting better. I made it over the net a couple of times. I guess my problem all along was that I was playing on a real court. I'm actually not half bad if there aren't any lines and no rules too. It was tons of fun. Then we went and made picarrones at a members house which are like Peruvian donuts and that was awesome. She said I needed to learn so I could feed my family when I get home. Well, the good news is I know now, the bad news is we'll all be super fat.

Oh yeah, embarassing moment of the week. Monday night we were walking to a noche de hogar (family home evening) and this guy says ''how ya doin'?'' and I knew that he didn't learn that in some English class. I asked him where he learned English and then he told me he lived in New York and was here visiting. It was in the hermanas area and they went to visit him and it turns out his wife and kids are members. That was pretty cool (shout out to Elder Jeremy Sherman repping it in New York. The guy lives on Long Island. So, the embarassing part is that he spoke better English than me. Well, his accent was horrible, but he actually could think straight. Maybe it was just his accent that threw me off, but I couldn't put together a coherent sentence. I just opted for Spanish and he kept rocking the English. Well, that's how Elder Wheatley got beat in an English contest by a Peruvian. You guys are all gonna laugh so hard when I get home.

Then I had a great work visit this week where I saw a two year old drinking some beer. His mom didn't even flinch until I said something and then she acted all surprised. Gotta love PerĂº and everything, but it's getting to a whole new level. That work visit was awesome because I remember something I heard at the beginning of my mission. ''It's never too late to have a happy childhood'', well now I can say ''It's never too late to have a happy mission''. It hasn't been at all like I expected, but I can decide now. Even looking back I can be happy for what happened and I encourage you all to do the same. If you have some scars from the past, look back and change them into happy times. It's not easy, but I know it's possible and it's so amazing to me the power we have in our hearts and our brains to change things.

Another funny story was this old guy that kept calling me ''monka uma'' which means ''pot head'' in quechua. That was just funny to me.  I hope you know I don't do drugs, although he was literally talking about like a cooking pot.

I read a great article this week that was suggested by Sister Aannaliisa Moulton entitled ''That ye 'might not...shrink'''. It's by Elder Bednar and it's amazing. It definitely tugged my heart strings and I am learning so much that Heavenly Father's will is so much more important to accept than our own ideas. He really does know what is best.

The highlight of the week was definitely the baptism of Hermana ________ this week. It was one of the most special for me. I was kind of doubting if she was ready for the baptism and I couldn't shake it all day. I don't know why I'm so reserved, but I just want people to be ready so they will stay strong. Well the thoughts kept coming all day long, but I knew she was ready. The Spirit kept testifying to my heart that she was ready. Then I would pray and feel good, but the thoughts would come back. Pretty much I was getting ''cold feet'' for someone elses baptism. Well, I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to stop things if they weren't right, but I was going to continue forward because I felt she was ready. I was able to baptize her and it was so special, she said she felt like she was flying with the birds. Well, I was changing and then it came to me that I hadn't had a single thought contrary to her getting baptized. A warm feeling came over me and I knew we had done what was right. I don't know why those thoughts kept coming, but I told Satan to get lost. He doesn't get any room in my brain.  I'm so grateful for that lesson I learned. If any of you are getting ''cold feet'' about doing a gospel ordinance or making another decision (it used to happen when I went to the temple), just tell Satan to get lost. Listen to the Spirit and it all works out. Remember that the Spirit speaks to our mind AND heart. That's what I was reminded of this week.

Oh yeah, flea situation. I'm doing pretty good, but one attacked me while I was sitting in the church yesterday. There's no safe place for Elder Wheatley and his sweet blood.

Once again, Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!! Please tell everyone hi and how much I love them. Just give them all hugs and kisses. Have the best week ever and know I'm praying for and thinking about all of you.
This year I'm grateful for my family that can be together forever, for my mission that has changed my life, for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and for the chance we have each day to come closer to Him. I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon and for a living prophet. I'm so grateful for each and every one of you and am looking forward to many more Thanksgivings to come that we can all spend together.

I love you all so much and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les amo mas que palabras,
Elder Aaron Micah Wheatley





No comments:

Post a Comment